Thursday, May 15, 2008

Despise a vile person

Today being the 15th I read Psalm 15, one of those easily preachable in America psalms because it has ready-made bullet points just like we like 'em.

[in the voice of a televangelist, however that sounds to you] "Who can ascend God's holy hill? Well right here are the 8 steps you have to take up that hill..."

So anyway, one of the steps or characteristics or whatever kind of sticks in my craw. Honestly I'm not sure where my craw is, but I hate it when things get stuck there. About halfway through you get this: "Who can dwell on your holy hill? He...in whose eyes a vile person is despised."

Now there are lots of psalms that get to me. I mean, am I really supposed to pray for my enemies to have their children dashed on the rocks? (yes, see Psalm 137). But I was particularly reflective this morning wondering this--do I let the "softness" and tolerance of my world affect my despising of evil-doers? Am I supposed to despise evil-doing people? Dictionary.com defines despise as to regard with contempt, distaste, disgust, or disdain; scorn; loathe. Is that how I'm supposed to feel? I don't, and I hope it's because I am following Jesus. He didn't seem to loathe or be disgusted at evil-doers. Quite the opposite actually.

No comments: