Monday, October 15, 2007

Hawaii and Africa, Hawaii and Africa


For some reason I'm really obsessed with the little map that appears in the left column of this blog. Yes, scroll down to see it. I'm about to hit 1,000 "hits" on this blog. And you can look and see that not all 1,000 of them are just from me here in San Antonio, Texas. Unless I'm traveling the world and logging on to my blog just to show that people come from all over...


But no one from Hawaii or Africa has ever looked here. I mean for goodness sake someone from Mauritius has been here, why not Hawaii or Africa?


So I thought I would just write about Hawaii and Africa to see if that helps.


I've been to Hawaii 3 times. Benefits of playing football in the old Western Athletic Conference. Never there longer than a couple of days, but still, how many of you can say that you've been to Hawaii 3 times? Hawaii is a beautiful and exotic place, just like they say. On a couple of the trips, I tried to surf. The surfboard won. The mahi mahi is excellent, you wouldn't believe how good the fruit tastes, and luaus are all you imagine they are. Plus you can make stupid college guy jokes about getting leied by a beautiful woman while there...


I've never been to Africa. I know that the maps in the US don't do Africa justice--they are nortocentric and make the continent look the same size as North America, when it's really 1/3 larger. There's a lot of fighting there, for lots of different reasons. I have a friend, Nodji, from there, and another friend, Jim, who lives in Paris but goes to Africa a lot. I read Texas in Africa just about every day and learn a lot about the politics of Africa. Desmond Tutu is a Christian leader there. Philip Jenkins says that Africa is on track to soon have more believers than North America, if it doesn't already.


I'm sure I know more, but I'm starting to bore myself at this point. Let's just leave it at this and see if someone from Africa or Hawaii will come by.

2 comments:

Tauratinswe said...

I'm from Hawaii and Africa -- unfortunately I'm now in Arkansas. I wish I could go to either (or both) of my homes and help you score on the best of the world. God holds Africa in His right hand and Hawaii in His left. I used to go back and forth between His hands. Now I'm just in the southern USA -- the Bible Belt -- which is about as far from the hands of God as one can get. It's a big mission field, so let's change it.

Arnie Adkison said...

Tauratinzwe,

I could not agree with you more! The people furthest from the heart of God I have met in life (if I can be that bold in my judgment; hopefully I'm saying it humbly) are people in the Bible belt that have come to take God for granted. Along with apple pie and baseball, he's the symbol of America, a patriotic God who would never speak prophetically to the people of the US, unless it's to tell them that Jesus is coming soon to take them all home with Tim LaHeye and John Hagee...