Monday, March 22, 2010

Melancholy blues

I have to admit, I was a little melancholy about last night's vote on health care reform. I am tired of the bickering and fighting, and quite frankly even now I'm concerned about the horrid...what's the word when a 10 year old starts acting like a 2 year old again? We're dredging up hatred and furor that hasn't been seen recently. I'm not naive enough to think it was gone, but I guess I was hopeful that it was progressing.

I guess I was wrong.

And I'm not even wishing that unbelievers could display love and compassion, although that would be nice. I am, however, ashamed at the actions of those who claim the name of Jesus in their lives.

So here I am, trying to therapeutically get some words out on the screen that will at least help me cope. I'm drawn as usual to the words of Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount, probably my favorite piece of Scripture.

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the sons of God." Mt 5.9 ESV

Certainly not blessed are the hatemakers. Or the warmongers.

And not even the peacelovers.

But peacemakers.

Let's do that.

No comments: