Wednesday, March 05, 2008

The onset of middle age...

Today, Brett Favre retired.

And I'm officially old.

Like Packer fans, I have been dreading this day, knowing it could come at any moment, but for totally different reasons. You see, Brett is, as far as I can tell, the last guy I played against that was still in the NFL. Yep, my last college football game ever, the 1988 Independence Bowl, was played against Southern Miss, and a sophomore QB named Brett Favre. Brett actually didn't hurt us too much, So Miss wide receiver Henry Jones, who I think went on to play with the Eagles, returned two punts for TDs, and we lost the game 38-18. [Shameless self-promotion: yours truly had 3 catches for 55 yards...] My UTEP roommate, Chris Jacke, went on to play with the Packers and got a Super Bowl ring with them.

But now, with Brett retiring, there's no one. Every person I played against has hung up their cleats and moved on. My O-line coach, Andy Reid, is still the Eagles coach, and there are several others coaching out there, but no one is still playing. I am old. I am in mid-life crisis.

I have no idea what I'm going to do about it. Maybe I should get in shape and play football...

No comments: