Saturday, March 17, 2007

Did Jesus Ever Think He Was Crazy?


Spring break was pretty good, with some relaxing time in El Paso, some snow play in Ruidoso, and lots of reading. Just what I want in a spring break.

On the way to Ruidoso, we listened to Rich Mullins, one of my favorite spiritual composers and singers. He has a song where he compares his own childhood to Jesus', wondering aloud if Jesus cried when he skinned his knee and if he ever made snow angels.

Well, did You grow up hungry? Did You grow up fast?
Did the little girls giggle when You walked past?
Did You wonder what it was that made them laugh?
And did they tell You stories 'bout the saints of old?
Stories about their faith?
They say stories like that make a boy grow bold
Stories like that make a man walk straight.

Then a day later I'm reading N.T. Wright's book Simply Christian. Many friends have told me that I will really enjoy Tom Wright's writing, and so far he hasn't disappointed. In a chapter about Jesus, Wright hints that Jesus may have wondered about his own sanity. Now that's the kind of thinking that will get you in trouble with the fundies but is dead on for us understanding fully the humanity of Jesus. Jesus was tempted in every way just like we are, which means he at some point wondered if he might be totally nuts thinking that he was fulfilling God's redemptive plan.

I'm glad he wasn't.

2 comments:

Pablo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pablo said...

I'm glad you enjoyed spring break here. I enjoyed playing with your beautiful kids, so it was a good tradeoff!