Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The First Day of Lent - Ash Wednesday

I confess.

I have no idea what to do for Lent. Growing up Baptist has left me ignorant about the Christian calendar in general and about Lent in particular. Probably some other things too. I've been reading Thomas Merton's "No Man is an Island" in my morning devotional, and I almost feel guilty for reading a Roman Catholic priest's writings. Okay, not really. I haven't felt guilty since 1989, but I feel like I'm supposed to feel guilty, a Baptist reading a Catholic priest for devotional thoughts.

I have read a few things--Lentin readings, calendars, stations of the cross. I am growing in my knowledge enough to see that the caricatures of Lent, like giving up chocolate for 40 days, don't do it justice.

I want to hunger and thirst for righteousness.

I want to seek God's kingdom above all things.

I want to want to know the Passion of Christ. (not a misprint; I'm not sure I want to, so I want to want to.)

God, reveal yourself to me during my Baptist Lent.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. A Baptist doing Lent. I actually did an Ash Wednesday service with our High Schoolers last night - signs of the cross and everything. I've done four or five of these, and they have been received amazingly well. Maybe for Lent I'm going to give up not keeping in touch with old friends. Thoughts?

Anonymous said...

By the way, I am responsible for the previous comment. I hate anonymity.

Arnie Adkison said...

I would have forever wondered who had left the "keep in touch with old friends" comment anonymously...thanks for coming out!

That is great that it is well received among your youth. Any grown-ups complain?

BTW, I have had your name come up twice recently--I spoke at a San Antonio Baptist Assoc. meeting a few weeks ago and Charlie Price went on and on in his intro of me about how long he had known me and doing your wedding and how great guys you and I are...then I was visiting a new Board member who is on faculty at Ouachita Baptist and he told me that Kevin Wheezer was on staff there. I don't know if you remember Kevin, he was YM at Taylor when we were in college.